Named Hoping John, not Hoppin’ John, hoping mine is better than all the thousands of variations of this recipe. Unique name to stand out a unique dish, But based on a description i read mine is closer to the original than most. A good dish to cook when your not home to cook.
Named Hoping John, not Hoppin’ John, hoping mine is better than all the thousands of variations of this recipe. Unique name to stand out a unique dish, but based on a description I read, mine is closer to the original than most. A good dish to cook when your not home to cook.
In a slow cooker combine (if you don’t have one I use Crock Pot brand for the best results and reliable cooking); dried peas, salt pork, beef base, water. Stir together and cook on low for 6 hours or overnight. Before you leave for work in the morning add the following items that you prepared the night before: pablano, onion, celery, hot sauce, rice, tomatoes, house seasoning, and turnip greens, cook till rice and peas are tender, probably another 6-8 hours hours max. Will be done when you get home, caution to over cooking, it could make rice too soggy.
A journey of the mind, fighting the enemy at every daily turn.
I set out on this journey after the enemy blatantly attacked me at work one day because he knew what he could do would get my goat.
My whole life has been set on a fear to not hurt anyone, to not upset them, be nice, always be good and don’t mess up. Don’t really know where this was based on or embedded in my psyche but it has been a root to evil. So I live each day in fear of messing up, upsetting people and worry that I’ll hurt someone, even if not intentional I fear it. The devil knows this well and he has used it, and used it, and used it against me. He keeps using it and this blog is my hope to end this rain of terror that he controls me with.
This journey was suggested to me by a co-worker, we had talked briefly in the past about a book we had read by Joyce Meyer “Battlefield of the Mind”. My co-worker told me of her journey of trying to change her mind set, being from harsher areas of this country where common courtesy isn’t common and being a baby Christian she new she needed to do something so that when the enemy used rude and inconsiderate people to cross her path, she would know what to do to deal with them. She has in my own opinion come a long away in a good way since I first met her. I have know her before and after Christ and he has done wonders. She told me what she did to get over the attacks so the devil didn’t win the war of my mind and so I’m going to try it and I thought I would include the world on my journey in hopes that my hurts could help others and the devil would not win with his latest attack. Foiled again by the grace of God.
The task is finding the specific chapter that Mrs. Meyer talks about the certain attack that the devil pulled on you that day, and devote yourself to that chapter for as long as it takes for the enemy to be driven from our mind about that issue. Reading and rereading, following the bible references and back again. I gave my copy of battlefield to my mom thinking she needed it more than me, but my backup plan involves Mrs. Meyers second book on the matter ” Power Thoughts,” which is set up the same and holds the very issues that i need help with. “Power Thoughts” will work quite nicely for this mission, just keeping up with it and not falling off the task at hand will be my only problem.
The following entries are my thoughts and findings in the Word and from Joyce Meyers book “Power thoughts”. As I read I will enter what goes through my heart and hope it reaches yours:
1st time thru:
- Pray for and forgive those led by Satan to offend you for they do not know any better. They have closed themselves off to any love and aloud anger and rudeness to control which are the devils playthings
- Must learn to heart: I am difficult to offend. I freely and quickly forgive.
- My fear stands on offending and hurting others, so that opens the door wide for the devil to make someone offend me in the ways I don’t want to offend them when I haven’t.
- Constantly wanting to make people happy leaves me wide open for the ones that you can’t make happy, then Satan turns it back on me as a lie that it was my fault they got upset.
- Transform do not conform. Don’t fall into the traps of this world for we in Christ are not of this world we are only in it, be as the Lord transforming with love not conforming to the hate.
- Revenge is mine says the Lord. Do not fall into the old law of ” an eye for an eye”. Jesus revoked that law when he brought pure non judging love to earth and taught us to forgive our enemies and love them no matter what. We as humans don’t agree with a lot of the punishments of criminals these days, depending on what they did. We feel that some of them did not pay enough, falling back to the only law that people want to remember when it’s convenient. Yes a person who hurts or kills a child should be punished severely, but it’s not our job to do so, God has a special place for those who are truly evil. Our job is only to detain them and be patient till the Father takes care of them in his time and ways, not ours.
- Forgive your enemy it pisses the devil off.
- If you want forgiveness you must forgive
- Sew and reap, kindness reaps kindness and makes the devil very angry. Forgive him too.
- The devil has his kryptonite and it’s love, where there is love the devil can not resided there.
- Go out into this world with a wise eye, desperate times call for desperate measures, be quick to forgive not quick to anger. People now a days don’t get the spiritual guidance they need to build them up to Christ like and treat their fellow man with any descent respect. Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse if something doesn’t change, our young people don’t hardly have any respect for themselves much less any respect for others.
- Keeping in mind that too big of a percentage of this world neglect their knowing better or don’t know any better because us as Christians have not done our jobs of rearing them properly and training them to fight against the evils that run rampant around us. The “Christian” people as a whole has failed our fellow man, holding back and pinning them down in judgement and ridicule, rules and regulations, everything opposite of what our Lord came to teach us.
- I have a mental image that I wish I could get as a permanent one to link to my feelings, is the image of what the Romans did to Christ on calvery, there is nothing anyone can do to me that matches that and if he can bare that punishment from us then we can forgive, pray for and disregard a duffuss that wants to get in your face cause he’s been stuck with his kids all day on spring break and he can’t handle it.
Interesting concoction that I created trying to create a paella variation
- 1/4 head of cabbage, cubed pieces
- 1/2 sm onion diced
- 1 pint of sliced fresh mushrooms
- My house seasoning, sprinkled over top of cabbage
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tony Chachere’s cajun seasoning, or more to taste for spiciness
- 1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 container, approx. 1 pound of a seafood mix. Found in seafood section, pre-cooked contains – crab, octopus slices, squid pieces, and shrimp.
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic (I use Spice World minced garlic)
Spray deep skillet liberally with oil, saute mushrooms, onion and cabbage till softened and mushrooms are reduced by half. Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer till well heated.
Serve with rice, together or on side.
Amazing what you can do with a little material.
Amazing what you can do with a little material and a sewing machine. People tell me I should sell these, but this was all the Elvis material left in the stores in the area. I too, don’t know the copy right stipulations for E.P.E. merchandise. This is sweater number 2, Elvis sweater number 1 is blue with different pictures.
Below the pictures is a listing of supplies and description of what I did if the Elvis fan in you comes out and wants one too.
Description & supplies:
- one sweat shirt, cut in front slightly down middle take in consideration for overlap, measure, you don’t want your center to be off once it’s buttoned up and edges hemmed to prevent fraying
- 1/2 yards of various Elvis fabric with non overlapping pictures that can be cut out easily, leave extra material around picture to be folded & ironed under when sewed to not have any raw edges showing
- A decorative edging from the fabric or Elvis blanket binding for the front, sew over edges and add buttons and button holes
- slant 2 pictures in the front to create pockets
- arrange pictures in a collage fashion and pin.
- if your sewing machine makes decorative stitches, be random and sew each picture with a different stitch, you can repeat if you only have a few that you like or will secure the picture. My machine is a Brother model that is not available now, but this model is similar for an idea if you don’t have one
Approximate cost: $25.00 depending on the cost of the fabric
This item was a smash at Graceland when worn to compliment my shoes.
A good one for a cold day or frito pies
Brown hamburger with onion, drain grease if needed, then add all other ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer till ready to eat. The longer the simmer the better the flavors are infused together.
Tip: To make the chili a little thicker, add 1/4 c. Maseca masa flour by taking some of the juice in a small bowl and whisk in the masa till smooth, then whisk into chili, bring to a boil and then it will thicken as it sits and simmers.
- 1 pkg frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 can evaporated milk plus 1/2 can water (Carnation Evaporated is creamier)
- 1 and 1/2 c. milk
- 1 stick butter
- 1 can (26oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 can, 15 oz. of nacho cheese(the cheese like you can get in the industrial size can, only they make smaller versions found near the Parmesan on the pasta isle, Rico’s brand)
In large pot, add broccoli and butter, cook on medium heat till broccoli is thawed and soft. Add evaporated milk and water, regular milk, mushroom soup, pepper, and cheese. Stir till well blended. Bring to slight boil then reduce and simmer till thickened. Simmer till ready to serve.
Easy cheese ball for any occasion
- 2 pkg of cream cheese
- 1 pkg onion soup mix
- 8 Knorr cilantro cubes or 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
- 2 c. shredded cheese
- 8 sliced of cooked bacon, chopped
Let cream cheese set till softened enough to stir ingredients together. **Add all ingredients to cream cheese, stir until well blended. **two options – leave half the cheese to the side to roll it in, or leave the bacon to the side and roll it in the bacon. The one above has the bacon inside and cheese on outside, have made it both ways.
Once all is blended together evenly, spoon cheese together into a ball shape in center of bowl. Cover and place in fridge till cheese has firmed up again, approx. 30 – minutes to and hour. Remove from fridge and with clean hands, pull out of bowl and form into a proper ball. Roll ball in the chosen outer ingredient, mashing cheese or bacon into ball so that it sticks and stays on. Roll till no more will stick, completely cover.
Chill covered till ready to serve. Serve with crackers.
Cookies made from a cake mix
- 1 carrot cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of cream cheese frosting
- ¼ c. water
- 1 ½ c. oatmeal, more if desired
With a mixer, blend cake mix, eggs, frosting, water till well blended.
Stir in oats. Spoon onto cookies sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes approx. 5 dozen.
Tip: Parchment paper is a handy tool for evenly “burnt” cookies. : -D
Cookies made from a cake mix
- 1 butter pecan cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¼ c. water
- 1 – 1 ½ c. chopped pecans
With a mixer, blend cake mix, eggs, butter, water till well blended.
Stir in nuts. Spoon onto cookies sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes approx. 3 dozen.
Tip: Parchment paper is a handy tool for evenly “burnt” cookies. : -D